zaterdag 13 september 2008

Saturday = Movieday, part 1

I don't know if I will succeed in this, but every saturday I'll try to post one of my favourite movies. Perhaps an idea for you folks to run to the dvd-store, or rental facility, and watch a good movie on Saturdaynight.
First in the series is probably my all time favourite: Hedwig and the Angry Inch!


The movie is from 2001 and is a musical, or a rock-opera. It tells the story of Hansel, an East-German boy wanting to escape East-Berlin and eventually does so through a sex-change (which isn't quite successful, hence the angry inch, Hedwig is from then on his chosen name, and that of his mother) and a marriage to an American officer. In America he/she gets divorced, has all kinds of odd jobs and is the star in her own popgroup...
It's also a movie about the search for one's other half... One of the finest lovesongs I ever heard comes from this movie:



It's a feelgood movie because of the music, and because even though it's a sad sad sad story, it ends uplifting and is full of humor. Hedwig is one hell of a stand up comedian. John Cameron Mitchell wrote, directed and headlined this movie, and he's utterly thrilling as Hedwwig.

On a lighter note: every New Year's Eve we get together with the family and we dress up. One year the theme was movies, so I went as Hedwig in one of the scenes...


Below is the song with the infamous carwash-scene...

1 opmerking:

Beeuwsaert Jan zei

Yes, i second that. that is indeed one of the finest lovesongs i ever heard too,i try to play it on my gitar but it is a hard one.And that was just hilarious when my brother played that scene and my father sat there on his chair."I'ts a carwash,ladies and gentlemen". ;p