zondag 7 september 2008

MadonnAnnie

Anyone who knows me, and perhaps not that very well, will know I have this heavy infatuation with Annie Lennox. Ever since the 80's I have been buying everything I can lay my hands on concerning Lennox. But more than buying, I have been listening over and over again, and I never get bored. Frankly, I have never met anyone more obsessive than me, they may say they are sooo deep into all things Lennox, but I always seem to manage to know something, to own something they don't... Nothing to be proud of, but a fact.
One of the funniest video's Lennox ever made is 'Do you want to break up', from the Savage album, when Eurythmics was still very much alive.. Here's the clip (though the sound isn't quite in place):



Madonna is a different kind of cookie. Never been much into her, don't know why, probably the music, and the far from interesting voice. But then she released 'Ray Of Light', and I think anyone should acknowledge she triumphed there. One of the best songs on that album was/is 'Don't tell me', a song also known as 'Stop', written by Joe Henry (yep yep, Madge's brother-in-law, a far more interesting version of the song is to be found on 'Dreaming Wide Awake' by Lizz Wright).



Last Year Lennox released 'Songs Of Mass Destruction'. The song that got the most attention was 'Sing'. An awareness-song, pointing out the hiv-problem in South-Africa, especially among women. Another reason why the song got so much attention was the fact Lennox recorded it with South-African group 'The Generics', and with 23 female superstars. Among them... yes, Madonna. In fact, Madonna gets the most attention because she gets so sing one verse solo.
Sing

But apparently the link continues. During her recent Sticky & Sweet Tour Madonna shows a CGI-movie (costume change!). The song starts out as 'Rain' by Madonna herself, when suddenly you hear the synthesizer from 'Here Comes The Rain Again'... Apart from the fact that Madonna uses Eurythmics in her show (which will be attended by a LOT of people), I also like the fact Madonna, though trying hopelessly to be hip and up-to-date, takes a 25-year-old-song to act as a soundtrack to a usually not so interesting intermission. I think Lennox and Stewart are laughing out loud inside...
Concert-excerpt

Geen opmerkingen: