zondag 31 augustus 2008

If I Had My Way Three Times

Music, it will always be my solace. And I enjoy it to get people get acquainted with (for them) new music. Once again, this post suits perfectly with previous posts.
The three YouTube-movies below are all about the same song. Well, they are the same song. 'If I had my way' written by the Reverend Gary Davies (°1896, +1972), and what is the song about? ... Exactly! Religion! It seems it interests me in every way. But I think, faith-driven or not, one has to acknowledge the wonderful stories Christianity has produced. This is the story of Samson and Delilah.
Last year, when we were in France we visited Chalon-Sur-Saône, quite a large city in Burgundy. A city with shops! Musicshops! So I went inside one, a bought two cd's. One by Catherine Russell, which I knew as a backing vocal to Jane Siberry and David Bowie. And one by Bethany and Rufus, which I didn't know at all, but the songchoice was alright, so I took the risk.
Here's Bethany and Rufus with their version of 'If I had my way'. I think they made it a new song.



Peter Paul and Mary on the other hand tend to make this song a lot duller, a lot easier, a lot more drained from all drive that's inherent to the lyric.



And finally Rev. Gary Davies, the original.

Geen opmerkingen: