vrijdag 29 augustus 2008

Le livre d'heures des ames pieuses recueil de prières a l'usage des personnes du monde

Yesterday I arrived at Mr.S's place. There was a present of the girlfriend of Mr. S's brother, let's call her Ms. Hare. A while ago she was at my place, and I own a collection of religious artefacts. She said, something I forgot, she had a little churchbook which was lying around, so if I wanted it, I could have it. I said 'Yes!', and this was the moment. I have a lot these little books, and I'm a softie for these lovely patterns and drawings which are always to be found in these little books. This one was printed in 1910 in Braine-Le-Comte, France.


It looks like every book has a different pattern on these pages...


The little drawing on the right page is of an old beehive, which I think is really funny, because I work at a bee-center... Perhaps an idea to explore this kind of imagery within religious imagery. They are well known ofcourse, the most knowm example being St. Ambrose, who once was fed by a swarm of bees. In return he became the patronsaint of all beekeepers and their bees.