zaterdag 30 augustus 2008

The Cupboard of Holy Things... (in a James Mason voice, Eddie Izzard would say)

In addition to yesterday's post, I'll post some more relgious stuff. Below is the cupboard where I keep all things too precious, vulnerable or small to lay around. Books, figurines, little crosses, candles, cards, stuff like that. I also uploaded the picture to Flickr, where I put some notes on the picture with a little more information, you'll find it here.


On the same cupboard are three plaster statuettes. Two Jesuses, both of the Holy Heart. The left one holds a self rolled cigarette between his fingers. My brother put it there when I moved from my studentroom to my first house, now 14 years ago.
In the middle there's St. Josef with Jesus as a young child. I got it from Ms. W, who got it from her grandmother and didn't want to sell it on a fleamarket, but didn't wanna keep it (as she got way too much clutter.)


As you can see, I'm not exclusively into catholic imagery. Here's Mary next to a Jewish holy book (don't know which one, as I can't read Hebrew) and next to an oillamp with some Indian goddess on top of it.


Below is the pièce de résistance of my collection. It's a cross that used to hang in a convent. My brother worked there once, and he knows ofcourse of my collection. So when one day they were going to throw all these crosses, large and small, who were thrown into one room, away, he went to ask one of the nuns if he could take a cross with him for his brother. The nun agreed ofcourse, overjoyed with the devotion she witnessed within the young folk. Well, my brother took a cross, gave it to me, and ever since it's gracing the mantlepiece in my diningroom.


And ofcourse, this is also very much fun. The merchandise found in little shops, mostly selling fifties and sixties inspired clutter. They usually sell Jesus gadgets too. So I own some of those too.

Geen opmerkingen: